LinkedIn is a professional networking site for people and organizations to build connections. You can follow colleagues, companies (this includes universities and nonprofits), and jobs. LinkedIn also allows you to share news, blog posts, opinion pieces, and job ads. You can also join specialized groups.
- It’s a professional network, so it helps to look professional. Fill out your work and education history and post appropriate profile pictures and cover photos.
- Add your CV to your profile.
- Request to join the networks of colleagues and people you’d like to know more about.
- You can add specific skills to your profile, and people can endorse those skills. It’s a good practice to endorse the skills of colleagues you respect.
- You can share content and read content from others. Got a PowerPoint you shared at a conference? Upload it to a LinkedIn post and share the highlights. You can do the same with an article or op-ed you like.
- LinkedIn allows you to like, share, and comment on posts.
- You can send private messages to people in your network.